Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Snow Song Search

I got this idea from Debbie Huber on Sugardoodle  she wrote:

I brought a plastic box full of snow (living in California, we used fake snow, but if you're lucky you could try this with real snow). I cut out big block letters on white cardstock and laminated them. The letters spelled a mystery word (we did SLEDS). Each letter represented a snow song to sing. A child would come and search through the snow to find a letter. I would hang that letter up once it was chosen. At the end of singing time, they tried to figure out the mystery word. Here are the songs we sang:

S = If You're Happy (clap your gloves, stomp your boots, shout whoo-hoo)
L = Once Their Was a Snowman
E = Do As I'm Doing (shoveling snow, throwing snowballs, catching snowflakes with your tongue)
D= Pick any song but pretend to be shivering and cold while singing the song.
S= Popcorn Popping (Snowflakes falling on the evergreen tree - taken from Primary To Go)

"I looked out the window, and what did I see?
Snowflakes falling on the evergreen trees.
Winter's brought me such a nice surprise,
Snowflakes falling right before my eyes.
I can make a snowball, I know I can.
Three snowballs make a big snowman.
I know it's really so, And I'm glad to see
Snowflakes falling on the evergreen trees."

I adapted it a little. For snow I used Poly Pellets (little clear plastic pellets used for crafts, like bean bags) for the snow and put them in a large metal serving bowl. For the letters, I used plastic alphabet tiles. The kids loved it! Everyone really loved the "winter versions" of "If You're Happy", "Do As I'm Doing" and "Popcorn Popping". I also used the songs "Falling Snow" and the snow version of "Rain Is Falling All Around".

No comments:

Post a Comment